top of page

City get past Cannons

We traveled to Jack Edwards Reserve to take on the in form Oakleigh Cannons, they are undefeated in their last five matches. The conditions were a concern with a huge storm rolling in prior to kickoff, thankfully the storm passed and play was able to get underway on time.

The first period of 40 minutes saw a strong starting 11 for both sides including new recruits Windbichler, Brillante and Cabrera.

New number 10 Florin Berenguer starting in the central attacking midfielder position. Florin started strong and was showing some fantastic touches as well as some insightful balls through for our strikers.

Cabrera also showed what he is capable of with some glimpses of raw speed as well as attacking intent and ambition to beat his player at every chance with the slippery conditions proving a challenge for him.

In a sometimes cagey affair Oakleigh showed their class and provided a good contest for the 1000 plus fans who braved the conditions. Metcalfe scored early for City, he ran past 2 opponents and then took a shot from outside the box nestled into the bottom left corner. The Cannons then continued to push and scored two goals in quick succession to take the lead. The city boys continued to push and in the second period of 40 they got a reward with Craig Noone cutting back inside the box to unleash a hard shot which the Oakleigh keeper could only push straight up, this allowed Jamie Maclaren to head home into an open net to level the scores.

Oakleigh continued to push and managed to chip Mark Brighetti early in the final 40 minute period to give them the lead 3-2. This score remained until Lachlan Wales, who had butchered a few clear cut opportunities only minutes prior managed to sneak one home to level the scores. City continued to push for a winner and they were rewarded in the final minute of the game with a penalty given which allowed Moudi Najjar to step up and dispatch the penalty to win the game. This proved to be the final kick of the game with the referee calling a halt to the game after the goal was scored.

Final score 4-3

⚽️ Metcalfe

⚽️ Maclaren

⚽️ Wales

⚽️ Najjar

261 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page